English as an Additional Language or Dialect
"English as an Additional Language or Dialect support is intended for Non English Speaking Background students (NESB) who are either long term residents, recent arrivals or who have been born in Australia."
This area supports students to develop their language skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking and includes a variety of purposed such as study, vocation, interpersonal communication and leisure.
At Thomas More College the programs developed in the EALD programs aim to:
- Build an understanding of how English language texts vary according to cultural and social context.
- Develop an understanding of what language choices are appropriate depending on the social context, topic, the relationship between language users and whether the text is more spoken like or written like.
- Teach a more specific knowledge of language by supporting students in their learning across the curriculum.
- Give students a sense of valuing culture of origin and a sense of place in Australian society.
- Encourage students to use English fluently, accurately and appropriately in activities that involve any or all of the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Encourage enjoyment of learning the English language.